William Jewell Football
Facilities & Directions
William Jewell College has a proud academic and athletic heritage as well as first-class facilities, including Patterson Field/Greene Stadium, a new Sprint-Turf all-weather football game complex. The Stadium is home to William Jewell football, men's and women's soccer and our track and field teams. Estimated seating for the stadium is 7,000.
The stadium was built in 1955 and named in honor of Dr. Luther D. Greene who graduated from Jewell in 1891 and was a member of Jewell's first intercollegiate football team in 1888. The first squad consisted of 12 players and Dr. Greene served as manager as well as player. Dr. Greene gave the major gift to finance the stadium. In addition, Dr. Wallace W. Greene '28, a prominent surgeon in Kansas City, Mo., and an alumni achiever in 1954, gave a large contribution to the stadium. Dr. Wallace Greene, who grew up in Richmond, Mo., where he played high school football, was keenly intrested in Jewell athletics and was very active in the athletic affairs of the college until his death in 1979. Upon Dr. Greene's death, his widow Edna, a former nurse and football fan, continued her interest in Jewell athletics and was the major contributor in the purchase of new stadium lights.
In the summer of 2016, Norris Patterson Field received a facelift as new turf was installed. The tradition J-bird remains at center field while the 'Jewell Cardinals' was added in respective end zones for a new look.